Saturday, January 8, 2011

I should probably have some cool title for this blog, but I got nothin'....

Well, here we are in 2011. Yeah, I know...I should probably make up my mind as to whether I'm going to continue this thing or not. There more I think about it, the more I think that there is something to be said about writing your thoughts down. I guess this is a pretty cool way of doing that. Maybe people will read this, maybe they won't. Either way, in some strange way it does feel good "writing" your thoughts down...Yeah, I know... Writing??? On paper??? What is that all about?? Chris Fabry hosts his own show during the week from 2-4 called "Chris Fabry Live". During the show, he made a really good point a couple of days ago. As he was interviewing his guest on the show, the comment was made that there is something to be said about writing down your thoughts and feelings. That just sort of stuck with me.
So, the first week of 2011 has come to an end. I have this feeling that this year is going to just fly by. Isn't that weird? It's like, one day, it's the middle of June...The next day, it's Thanksgiving... The days just keep flying by faster and faster..Looking back on the past couple of years, it feels like in some ways a lifetime has passed..In other ways it feels like it was only yesterday that Luke started walking.. By the way, Luke is my incredibly big and too smart for his age 3 year old nephew..
That's thie thing, isn't it...In this life, we get caught up in the day to day stuff when sometimes it feels like it's just one day fading into the next... It's almost like we find ourselves on auto pilot... Then, there are those times when we say to ourselves "wow...is it Christmas already?"  or  "wow..he is in pre-school now??? How did that happen?"During my airshift this past week, I was talking about the whole idea of "resolutions" I said something to the extent of maybe the word "goal" should be replaced by "resolution". There is a song that we play from Matthew West called "The Motions"  (which is an unbelieveable song, by the way) it talks about how in this life, we find ourselves just going through the motions...of course, he is talking about our christian life, but how many times do we just go through the motions in other parts of our lives as well? You know what I'm talking about... You wake up in the morning, you get ready for work, maybe you kiss your spouse good bye, maybe you don't..It's such a routine, that you really don't thinik about it.. Almost subconsciously, you think "I'll see them tonight..."  Basically, many things in your day are just "ordinary"..Not that that's a bad thing, but we find time to check our facebook, check our email, update our facebook, download music, blah blah blah...How are we living an extraordinary life? That word extraordinary..when you break it down, it is more than ordinary..It means that instead of the normal routine that you've fallen into, you want more...More out of your relationships..More out of your christian walk...more from yourself..Now don't get me wrong...I am toally in that "routine" thing as well. However, one of my "goals", or resolutions for 2011 is kind of along the lines of the words of that Matthew West song... Instead of doing "enough", I want to do more...More praying..More Reading..More time thinking about the lord, and seeking him, and trying to be more like him, and less time thinking about things that in the long run really don't matter. Now, please don't take this like I am pointing the finger saying "oh, you're not doing this, and this is wrong, and that is wrong, etc"  I'm just saying that in my life, this is something I would like to work on. Have you been in the same place I have been? Who knows..Maybe you're there right now.. All I can say is this...The lord is good..He is faithful...He is merciful.. He is so much more than those 3 things, but I think you get what I'm saying.. I am a daily work in progress. I don't deserve God's grace..I don't deserve his mercy..However, he gives it to me anyway...I mean, I mess up so many times every single day, but he is still there. If I may quote the line from a MuteMath song, "You precious words intoxicate a heart that aches..You just say it's okay...And you don't recall my past mistakes..You just say that it's okay..And this human mind can't calculate you're perfect grace, but it's okay" . The whole idea of going through the motions... If there is one thing that I've learned over the past 3 years is your entire life can change in an instant..Maybe for good..Maybe for bad.. You never want to find yourself in a place where you're saying "if I only did this, or if I only told them this, or if I can only go back and do this.." That is why I think it's so important to have a close relationship with God..If we have that, he will show you what to do, so you won't be finding yourself in the position of saying "if only"...  There is a line of a song that says "you can't rewind a moment in this life".. That's true.. It's so easy to lose sight of that, isn't it?
Alright...I've bored you long enough.. Thanks for reading this...

No comments:

Post a Comment